Summer is always sun, fun, beach and adult beverages. We all like to enjoy many hours doing outdoor activities, but are we doing our best to protect ourselves from the harmful effects of the sun’s UVA and UVB rays? When you soak up the sun’s ultraviolet rays, it speeds up the aging of your skin and raises your risk of skin cancer. To prevent damage, use a “broad spectrum” sunblock that is SPF 30 or higher. In addition, you should receive monthly facial treatments and make sure to keep up with your daily skin care regimen.
The most noticeable damaging effects caused by the sun are:
- Sun or age spots (dark brown spots)
- Melasma (splotchy brown or grey patches)
- Either very oily or dry skin, depending on skin type
- Sunburn (considered a skin condition). Sunburns happen when there’s damage to the DNA in your skin cells.
- Dull, tired and lack of elasticity in the skin
- Acne: The heat triggers excess sweat that will mix with excess dirt and bacteria on your face leading to acne.
To prevent the above conditions it is important to keep the skin protected as much as possible from the harmful effects of the sun. As part of your skin care regimen be sure to receive a monthly facial treatment at your local spa. Diamond microdermabrasion uses a diamond tip to remove the outer layer of skin, getting rid of dead cells and returning a glow and
smooth texture to your skin. Chemical peels also remove damaged cells from the upper layers of your skin. Chemical peels aren’t recommended unless the person can be out of the sun for a period of two weeks to four weeks. Regular facial treatments are essential since your aesthetician will manually exfoliate the skin, clean the pores and use the proper products according to your skin type to return a healthy look to your skin.
Now that you are aware of the damaging effects of the sun be sure to make your facial appointment today to prevent the harmful effects of the sun.